The military chiefs were appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari on July 13 and confirmed by the Senate on August 4, President Muhammadu Buhari, on August 13, 2015, decorated Nigeria’s new service chiefs.
The chiefs includes; General Abayomi Gabriel Olonishakin , Chief of Defence Staff; Lt-General Tukur Y. Buratai, Chief of Army Staff; Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas, Chief of Naval Staff; and Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar , Chief of Air Staff – at their decoration ceremony:
Here are 5 things the President told the service chiefs
1. He charged them to defeat the Boko Haram insurgents within three months.
2. He urged them to ensure that armed banditry, kidnapping, and other forms of criminality are also phased out.
3. He also advised the military chiefs to be accountable for both the men and equipment placed under their command, in the course of carrying out their assignment.
4. He asked them to re-professionalize the military and ensure troops are well trained and equipped before going to battle.
5. He urged the service chiefs to protect innocent civilians and respect the rights of combatants in order to earn the support of local and international communities.