Nigeria’s military was able to repel multiple and coordinated attacks from Boko Haram fighters on Sunday on Borno state capital Maiduguri according to security sources however, the insurgents were able to capture another Borno town. This is really sad news.
Boko Haram fighters came to the city just after midnight. Sources at the hospitals claim that at least eight people had died and 27, mostly civilians, had been injured. The second attempt to take the city airport in the afternoon was fiercely resisted by the Nigerian military. The Nigerian defence spokesman Olukolade said with regards to this attack, “Terrorist who attacked Maiduguri in the early hours of today have been successfully repelled.” He also added that the army is determining casualties.
A civilian JTF leader, who declined to be named for security reasons also said, “ We’re still combing the bush for their corpses, we pursued the Boko Haram men until Auno, 12 km outside the city… some fled towards Mainok.”
A curfew has been imposed in Maiduguri but may be removed on Monday since calm has started returing into the town.
However, in Monguno which is 140 km north of Maiduguri, the news is not very pleasing. The story is that the town is being taken by the militants. “We saw the mobile police and soldiers also running away, some of them telling us to find our way out as they have been overpowered,” a resident of Monguno named Madu Bakur told Reuters. According to a security source, the insurgents arrived Monguno at about 3:30 a.m in a convoy of pick up trucks, throwing explosives and shooting into houses. Please when will this type of story ever stop.
From the Borno state government house, governor Kashim Shettima said that the government is screening and taking records of survivors from Monguno in order to accommodate them as internally displaced people.
The defence spokeman Major General Chris Olukolade said that “An exclusive coordinated air campaign has taken over from ground forces in Monguno, as troops had to retreat from the location.” This is not the first time we are hearing this type of story from him and at the end of the day, the town still remains under the control of the militants. We hope and pray this will be different.
It is also a victory story however in Konduga, which is 40km from Maiduguri. The insurgents were successfully repelled like in Maiduguri. Boko Haram has been trying continuously to take over this strategic town a number of times now, but the Nigerian forces there has always repelled them successfully.
A local government official in Konduga, who declined to be named, told Reuters the insurgents stormed the restive town at about 6 a.m. (12 a.m. ET) on Sunday. “The military dealt with them, killed many of them,” he said.
Source – Reuters