Suspected Boko Haram members on Sunday night attacked a Borno community located along the Maiduguri-Bama road.
The attack came barely 24 hours after the road was reopened by the Nigerian military four years after it was taken over by Boko Haram.
The gunmen stormed the village in their dozens at about 10 p.m.
The spokesman of the military in Maiduguri, Onyema Nwachukwu, confirmed the attack, but said it was repelled.
“At about 10.09 pm yesterday, elements of Boko Haram insurgents who had been routed out of the Sambisa forest following troops’ offensives and clearance operations attempted to loot Mashumari village, a remote settlement under Konduga Local Government Area for food and other logistics.
“Our troops swiftly moved in and engaged the insurgents killing one insurgent, while others fled in disarray.
“A civilian who was wounded in the encounter is currently receiving medical attention,” he said.
He added that the “troops are still trailing the fleeing insurgents”.