The organised labor on Wednesday, November 7, threatened to embark on an indefinite strike action if the federal government fails to approve and implement the N30,000 minimum wage recommended by the tripartite committee.
Punch reports that the secretary general of the Trade Union Congress, Musa Lawal, reacting to comments by the minister of information, Lai Mohammed, that the report of the tripartite committee was a mere recommendation said the organised labor was been pushed to the wall.
Lawal said the union had agreed to hold off its planned action because FG expressed the willingness to accept the report of the tripartite committee.
The union, however, warned that anything short of the full implementation of the report would be met with stiff opposition.
“They can say anything they want to say. Why were they panicky before? Why did they agree to the N30, 000? They can call it a mere recommendation or whatever they want to call it but the important thing is that at the end of the day, if we do not get the N30,000, they know what we will do,” Lawal said.
Meanwhile, It was previously reported that the New Initiative for Credible Leadership (NICL) has commended President Muhammadu Buhari on his commitment to the welfare of workers in Nigeria.
The initiative said the president upon assumption of office in May 2015, discovered that state governments and some federal government agencies were owing workers many months of salary arrears and he swung into action immediately.
The executive director of NICL, Reverend Steven Onwu, said the decision of the organized labor to suspend its planned nationwide strike as laudable.