They were said to have surrendered last week and turned over arms and ammunition including RPGs, after which they were taken to Maiduguri for deradicalizsation, Africa News reported.
The Nigerian Army announced early January 1,050 insurgents surrendered to troops in Lake Chad and Monguno general area of operations.
The army also said many insurgents were on the run, and warned communities to watch out for the fleeing Boko Haram militants as their enclaves in Lake Chad region came under intense onslaught.
The situation in Nigeria remains unstable due to the activities of the militant group Boko Haram, which has caused mayhem in the African country through dozens of bombings, armed attacks and abductions.
Boko Haram has been blamed for more than 20,000 deaths during its eight-year insurgency, which has spilled over into neighbouring countries and created a vast humanitarian crisis with millions displaced and hungry.
Thousands have been killed and hundreds of thousands have been displaced as a result of eight years of Boko Haram militancy, which has also affected Nigeria’s neighbors, including Niger, Cameroon, and Chad.
Boko Haram gained international notoriety after its fighters kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls in the town of Chibok, while about 100 girls are still missing.
President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration has claimed the group has technically been defeated as a result of a massive operation that began in early 2015, but the latest attacks shows the group’s continued ability to stage hit-and-run raids.
However, civilians and security forces in Northern Nigeria are still targeted in sporadic attacks, while the government warned that the group can still attack civilians at soft targets such as mosques, markets, and camps for displaced people.