Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Deputy Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Pa Moses Ekpo has debunked reports of his resignation and subsequent dumping of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the state. A statement by Ekikere Udoh, the Chief Press Secretary to the Deputy Governor said the report was maliciously concocted. Pa Ekpo was quoted in the statement as saying there was no reason for him to seek to quit his membership of the PDP.
2. The Senator representing Ogun East in the National Assembly, Buruji Kashamu has written to the Independent National Electoral Commission, the Department of State Services, and the police to disregard his expulsion by the Peoples Democratic Party.
Kashamu in his letter argued that the party’s sanction against him was a stillbirth and could not stand the test of the law.
3. Men of the Ondo State Police Command have arrested a fake lawyer, Taye Mapayi, who was alleged to have aided the escape of two armed robbery suspects from the detention of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Ondo State. Mapayi, who was apprehended by detectives of the state’s command, was said to have mysteriously aided the escape of two notorious armed robbery suspects, Rotimi Adeleye and Bukola Adeoye from SARS detention on July 30, 2018.
4. Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has said that President Muhammadu Buhari has not fired Minister of Finance, Dr Kemi Adeosun because the matter was still under probe. Mohammed said this on Monday when he paid an official visit to the Abuja office of The Authority Newspapers. Responding to a question from the editorial management of the paper on why Buhari was still keeping Adeosun in his cabinet, Mohammed said the case was still under investigation.
5. In sports, Nigeria’s U-20 female football team, Falconets were on Monday defeated by Germany in their first game of the ongoing FIFA U-20 women’s World Cup in France. They were beaten with a lone goal. German’s striker, Laura Friegang’s 69th-minute goal was what separated both teams.
6. No fewer than 30 Senators allegedly gathered in the wee hours of Tuesday morning to finalize its plan to impeach Senate President, Bukola Saraki and his deputy Ike Ekweremadu. A source told DAILY POST that the alleged meeting was held around 12:30 am in Abuja. The lawmakers were said to have allegedly met with Mamman Daura, Director-General of the Department of State Service (DSS) and had concluded to install Senate Leader, Ahmed Lawan (Yobe North) as Senate President while Hope Uzodinma (Imo West) will emerge as his deputy.
7. Senate President, Bukola Saraki and Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara will meet on Thursday. The meeting scheduled for 12noon will discuss “national issues”. Expected to be in attendance are other officers of the National Assembly. Bamikole Omisore, Saraki’s Special Assistant on International Relations confirmed this on Monday.
8. Two aides to Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State have resigned from their positions. The two affected aides, who tendered their resignation letters on Monday are Senior Special Assistant to the governor on Public Affairs, Alhaji Shamsu Aliyu Samanja and a Special Adviser on Non-Governmental Organisations, Alhaji Abdulhadi Zubairu Chula, respectively. Their letters of resignation were received by the secretary to the state government.
9. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has claimed that a former Governor of Akwa Ibom, Godswill Akpabio deceived them regarding his visit to President Buhari in London. The party said it was not aware that the Senate Minority Leader was going to London where he met with President Buhari on Sunday, saying that the former governor of Akwa Ibom State told members of the party’s National Working Committee, NWC, that he was on his way to Germany.
10. Ten All Progressives Congress (APC) executives in Osun state Monday dumped the party, and officially joined the Action Democratic Party (ADP). In their resignation letter addressed to the chairman of the state APC, the chieftains explained that the party was deeply embroiled with series of crisis resulting from high handedness from the executive arm of government that claimed lack of confidence in the state Exco members of the party.
Joy Peace is an author of Aeroberry website. She is young, beautiful, bright and intelligent.