Some residents of Abakaliki, Ebonyi state could not hide their emotions on Thursday, January 4, as a 15-room property worth about N500 million and inhabited by some Hausa people went up in flames at 7, Momo Street.
The New Telegraph reports that the building was still in flame at the time of its report adding that all the belongings of the inhabitants were razed in the fire that started at 4am while its occupants were still asleep.
The report quoted one of the occupants, Umaru Yakubu, as saying that he was aroused from sleep by neighbours who raised the alarm over the fire adding that one of his brothers who sells cattle lost several millions of naira withdrawn from his bank account for business.
“We lost many things. My brother who is a tailor lost his industrial machine and everything in the shop.
“Another brother of mine who trades on cattle lost over N200 million he withdraw from bank which he supposed to travel to the north with the following day,” he said while blaming officials of the Ebonyi State Fire Service for allegedly failing to get to the scene early.
“For over 15 minutes, the officials of the Ebonyi State Fire Service did not come even when their station and the scene is just a stone throw.
“When they finally came, they sprayed little water and packed up; complaining that they don’t have enough water” he narrated.